Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
Interventional Radiology - Original Article
Transarterial embolization with n-butyl cyanoacrylate for the treatment of abdominal wall hemorrhage

Transarterial embolization with n-butyl cyanoacrylate for the treatment of abdominal wall hemorrhage

1.

Division of Interventional Radiology, Department of Radiology, Hematology and Oncology, São Paulo University Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, São Paulo, Brazil

2.

Division of Abdominal Radiology, Department of Radiology, Hematology and Oncology, São Paulo University Ribeirão Preto School of Medicine, São Paulo, Brazil

Diagn Interv Radiol 2020; 26: 216-222
DOI: 10.5152/dir.2019.19348
Read: 177 Downloads: 90 Published: 08 October 2019

PURPOSE

We aimed to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of n-butyl cyanoacrylate (n-BCA) in the context of the transarterial embolization (TAE) of abdominal wall hemorrhage in an urgent scenario.

 

METHODS

A retrospective study of cases admitted from January 2008 to December 2017 in the emergency unit of our institution revealed 11 patients with abdominal wall hemorrhage who underwent digital subtraction angiography and TAE with n-BCA. We analyzed the sex, age, hemorrhagic risk factors, etiology, embolized vessel, technical success (no rebleeding in the embolized area), clinical success (hemoglobin level control and hemodynamic stability after the procedure), complications inherent to the procedure, and clinical outcome (mortality in 30 days).

 

RESULTS

The mean age was 63.4 years (52–83 years), with a predominance of the female sex (64%). The majority (91%) of patients presented hemorrhagic risk factors (chronic hepatopathy and anticoagulation drug usage). Spontaneous hemorrhage was present in 18% of patients, and the other 82% had an iatrogenic etiology. Technical success was achieved in 100% of the patients, which required the embolization of inferior epigastric artery in 10 patients (91%), circumflex iliac artery in 2 (18%), and superior epigastric artery in 1 (9%). Five patients were hemodynamically unstable, and despite achieving technical success, 4 (36%) died in less than 30 days due to decompensation of their clinical comorbidities caused by the acute phase. There were no complications inherent to the procedures.

 

CONCLUSION

The present study concludes that TAE with n-BCA is a safe and effective treatment for abdominal wall hemorrhage in an urgent scenario, with high rates of technical and clinical success.

 

You may cite this article as: Albuquerque TVC, Monsignore LM, Castro-Afonso LH, Elias-Junior J, Muglia VF, Abud DG. Transarterial embolization with n-butyl cyanoacrylate for the treatment of abdominal wall hemorrhage. Diagn Interv Radiol 2020; 26:216–222.

Files
EISSN 1305-3612